Monday, September 2, 2013

The Zucchini Ran Away!!

My awesome sister helping me cook!!
Today was baking and cooking day. Thankfully I had my family to help me. My mom paid for the food and ingredients. I think this is pretty typical for the parents to feed their children when they come home from school and to send leftovers back with them.

French Bread
First I started making french bread. It has over two and a half hours of rise time alone, so I wanted to get it started early. While this was rising I started the chicken noodle soup. I use a recipe my friend Jamie created, and it has always been amazing. As a shortcut my mom got a rotisserie chicken from Earth Fare, eliminating the step of cooking the chicken. Yes this means it is more processed, but it was free to me.

Chicken Noodle Soup
I was able to take the chicken and vacuum seal it into 8 packages of two cups each. They are now in the freezer and should last me a few weeks or months (I say the shorter time because it is so yummy!).

Packaged Soup!






So, about the zucchini, this evening I decided to make zucchini bread with the zucchini I bought yesterday at the market here in town. One problem, we could not find the zucchini. Anywhere! We looked in every cabinet to no avail. I eventually had to go to Marsh to get two more. After that, the recipe I used is written for a higher altitude, so my sister helped me adjust it. I also decided to change from bread to muffins, as it is easier to portion control with muffins. The end result...42 zucchini muffins.

Muffins oh my!
End result:
  • 8 servings of chicken noodle soup
  • 1 1/2 loaves of french bread
  • 40 zucchini muffins (my family ate two)
Any other ideas for things that I can make and freeze in bulk?




No comments :

Post a Comment

ShareThis