Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Ewww....Yuck... Food Waste.

After some cooking, I got into a cleaning mood today. Thought it was fair time I clean out my fridge, see what had sunk into the depths after one month. Here is what I found...
These are not roles, they are lemons!!
foodengineeringmag.com

  • old cabbage
  • boiled beets gone gelatinous slimy
  • vegetable mush
  • cucumber gone yellow
I have to admit, some of these things have been in my fridge for over a month. Why, you ask? Well honestly I forgot about the cabbage, cucumber, and beets. The vegetable medley was just kinda gross and not palatable with the eggplant. I am not very good at forcing myself to eat something I do not like. I am keeping a running tally of how much food waste is costing me. So far it is approximately $17.62 lost in throwing away food whether from spoilage or bad cooking. This is 6% of my total spending on food. I am not sure if that is good or bad. 

Now I am more aware I need to try to eat things I do not like. I am also being careful of food spoilage, as I do not want to make myself sick. That is one issue of having no preservatives, food spoils much faster. Do you have any recommendations to keep food longer?

1 comment :

  1. I always make sure I have eaten as much of my fresh produce )or other perishable items like bread) as possible before breaking into too much of my dried or canned food.
    You can also check your fridge temperature- you are supposed to keep it below 5 degrees Celsius/41 degrees Fahrenheit.
    Also, if you are buying packaged produce that is sold in its own bag, keep it in said bag/package/whatever up until you are absolutely ready to use it. Most packaging manufacturers design the packaging in such a way as to keep food optimally fresh.
    If you have leftovers, freeze them instead of just refrigerating them if you think you won't want it again for a bit.
    Finally, go though your fridge and freezer every couple days to make sure things don't get forgotten in the back :)
    This is all kind of common sense stuff though, so pardon me if I am just saying stuff you already might do

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis