Thursday, September 19, 2013

Bakin' Old Fashioned Biscuits

Today I decided to try a new biscuit recipe out of my oldest cookbook. We used this at Conner Prairie in our 1886 Liberty Corner site. The book is Tried and Approved. Buckeye Cookery and Practical Housekeeping. Complied from Original Recipes. The quote on the front of the book says, "Bad dinners go hand and hand with total depravity, while a properly fed man is already half saved." This cookbook was originally published in 1877 and is chocked full of interesting and good recipes. For example, have you ever wanted to make Coffee Jelly, Boiled Beef Tongue, Celery Soup, or Butter Taffy this is the book for you.

Concerning biscuits, there are 7 different types listed. I opted to try the South Carolina Biscuit, contributed by Mrs. Colonel Moore. Here is the recipe, it may be different than you are used to.


A bit different, isn't it. I figured out that enough flour is 10-11 cups. This recipe made a LOT of biscuits, 27 to be exact. 

One note to make is to use a blender or soften the butter before putting it in, cutting while mixing does not really work. Oh and next time I would add more than 1 Tbsp baking powder, as they did not rise much. 



I cooked each batch at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.


Hopefully these biscuits will last me a week. What is your oldest favorite recipe?

1 comment :

ShareThis