Monday, September 16, 2013

Defining Processed Food

So today I made my own first batch of kale chips. A little too salty but that will be easily fixed the next time. I also had rice and beans for dinner, with some saved for later. They taste briny. I guess that is because I got canned kidney beans (only beans and salt). I thought they would be easier to cook (less time). I am still learning how to cook them properly.

On that note, I need to define the processed food that I am avoiding. 

The USDA defines processed food as “any food other than a raw agricultural commodity and includes any raw agricultural commodity that has been subject to processing, such as canning, cooking, freezing, dehydration, or milling.”

I have discovered that even the organic flour that I buy is considered processed by this definition. I cannot afford to harvest my own wheat and grind it into flour. I have been doing a lot of thought this week of how to redefine and solidify my definition of processed so that I am not over limiting myself.

I am allowing whole foods, such as fruits, vegetables, milk, meat etc. I am also going to allow products that are made of only whole ingredients. This includes canned beans (beans and salt), cheese (milk, enzymes, and salt) and other such products. Does that make sense? I am eliminating things that should not be there such as chemical preservatives and additives. I am also going to avoid products that have more than 5 ingredients (even if they are all whole) as that defeats the purpose of this project.

3 comments :

  1. I always always always rinse my canned beans (even the "organic" or whatever) ones -- the rinsing also seems to make them less, er, troublesome to the digestive system. It would also take away the briny taste, I'm sure.

    I would recommend giving soaking methods a try. Check out America's Test Kitchen and Cook's Illustrated for the best ways to cook dry beans -- they are totally cooking nerds and I think you could get behind it. Your local library probably has back issues available.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently saw "processed food" defined as something that you can't make in your own kitchen with standard ingredients and equipment. I thought that was a really interesting way of putting it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is interesting. I think that definition is even wider then mine.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis