Monday, September 23, 2013

Energy and its Costs

As promised, today's post is going to be on calories. I have been concerned that I have not been getting enough calories while on this diet. I have not been monitoring them for the duration so far. So today I used a website called myfitnesspal.com to estimate how many calories I have been eating in the past week. I am shocked at the results. I averaged 1566 calories and 54 grams of protein  per day. I thought I was around 1,000 calories a day.

I discussed yesterday that I should be having 40-60 grams of protein a day and I was between 32 and 70 each day, so I am actually fine. I did have a bean or meat dish everyday (that certainly helps). My lowest calorie intake was 1,222 and the highest is 1,945.

Let's refer to some science to see if these number are alright. I am going to use the USDA's myplate.gov to figure this out. How many calories should I have? According to the chart I need to be having around 2,000 calories, and that is if I am not physically active (which I am, I biked 5 miles round trip to class today).

So why was I wondering about calories in the first place? I feel my diet is out of whack in the proportions of things. I am also considering ending my experiment early at 6 or 8 weeks as I am worried about heath risks and honestly I am sick of calculating how much everything costs every day. What do you think

4 comments :

  1. It sounds like you are figuring things out for the project and that things are getting easier. I wonder if some of the not feeling well is partly detoxing all those preservatives and chemicals out of your body?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The idea that my body has been detoxing is an interesting one? Could a detox last for 6 weeks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably not for six weeks, but anytime you took a break I think would be a start over point

      Delete
    2. That is an interesting way to think about it. Every time I eat something processed, my body has to detox again.

      Delete

ShareThis