Thursday, September 5, 2013

Update: 3 Weeks In

So people have started asking "How are you doing?" or "Is the project hard?" etc. So I thought an update was appropriate as I am over 1/6 of the way through.

So what are my impressions? Well, I find by cutting out processed food, I am forced to eat a lot healthier. For once I do not have junk food to snack on, instead I have apples, carrots, and from a recent shopping trip, strawberries!!  If I get hungry, typically it will be 30 minutes until a meal or snack is put together. For example, today I made rice, but I had to cook it for 30 minutes on the stove top. No instant food here.

On that note, I am really really really missing convenience when it comes to food. Currently, I need to wake up earlier to make breakfast and pack my lunch for later. Coming home, I need to set aside at least 1 hour for dinner (cooking and eating). On a college schedule, that is a lot of precious time that could be spent doing homework or sleeping. I may be saving money by cooking everything from scratch, but it takes more time. So I guess what it comes down to is what is more valuable, time or money?

Another interesting change is that I have lost weight. About 5 lbs so far. This is unintentional but a side effect of eating healthier food. My food is also less calorie dense then processed food. Which leads to how I have been feeling today, Hungry. Ironically, the more I eat, the hungrier I feel. I am not sure if this will continue or go away.

I hope I get a routine down, that I can cook food in bulk ahead of time to spend less time cooking every day. I also want to learn to cook more things and to cook with people. So if you ever want to come over and cook with me, let me know!!

1 comment :

  1. Great fast, cheap breakfast: oatmeal! Soak some steel cut or rolled oats overnight, then start it simmering in the morning before you get dressed. 5-10 minutes tops, add whatever toppings you want. We add fruit, honey, butter and sometimes peanut butter (my favorite)

    The soaking helps make the oats digest easier, cook faster, smoother texture, etc.

    And if you have leftovers you can make muffins or use it as an additive to a bath for dry skin. :)

    Another super fast real food breakfast, apple and peanut butter. (you can easily make your own nut butters at the beginning of the week and keep them in the fridge, just remember to stir before scooping. OR you can just buy the peanut/almond butter from the grinder in the bulk section of most stores.)

    rethinking what makes a meal can really shift how much time it takes to survive on non-processed foods.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis