Saturday, September 28, 2013

A Shifting Mentaility

First thing this morning I went to the Minnetrista Farmer's Market. This trip is starting to become part of my schedule. Mentally, my perceptions of the farmer's market is starting to change. I am planning what to get, focusing on the farmer's market as my main source of food. This week I got beets and kale, I could have gotten potatoes, but I already have some and want to use them before they go bad.

Yes I found kale, I did two laps around the market until I found the vendor selling it of a cooler. One pound cost me $2. All of it has already been made into chips, which I have been enjoying all afternoon. This would be a great way to get your kids to eat their greens.

The Farmer's market is no longer a novelty for me. It is where my food comes from. I have talked with friends and family how they view the market, and it is a special occasion for them. May if they are cooking a special dinner on Saturday they will go to the market for some of the ingredients. I wish the mentality, at least for the summer, would switch to one that relied on the market for fruits and veggies. They taste better and are cheaper then a lot of retail stores.

I think that shopping at farmers' markets will continue after my project is done. How often do you buy food directly from the farmer?

No comments :

Post a Comment

ShareThis