Saturday, September 28, 2013

Why I Like Kale

From WebMD.com
Kale. As of a few months ago, I had never eaten it. It was one of those perceived icky bitter greens that I would never want to touch (yes I can be a picky eater at times). By now I have had kale chips and a spinach kale soup. So why is kale good for you? Maybe I can convince you to try it!




  1. It is high in vitamins. Vitamins C and K in particular. Vitamin C is good for immune system (think orange juice and other citrus) and vitamin K helps in bone health, preventing blood clotting, and may protect you against some cancers.
  2. Calcium. There is more calcium per calorie in kale then there is in milk. We all know calcium is good for your bones.
  3. Kale can also help detox your body and keep your liver healthy.
  4. It is full of fiber.
  5. One cup is about 35 calories, and you can get more than a daily serving of Vitamin C, K, and A in that cup.
  6. It can help lower cholesterol and heart disease.
  7. It is available a lot of the year, even into the fall and early winter.

I feel like I need to make a disclaimer that I am not a medical professional and you will reap the benefits along with a healthy diet (especially #2, 3, and 6). I love how kale chips taste, and this makes me feel even better when I snack on them.

What other superfoods do you know of?

Resources:
http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-4408/Top-10-Health-Benefits-of-Eating-Kale.html
http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/the-truth-about-kale

2 comments :

  1. I like kale a lot but get stuck on how to prepare it. Do the kale chips keep well? Or are they best eaten right after they are made?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They should be eaten the same day you make them. I heard that you can store them in a air tight container for 2 days, but I found my got a bit limp and chewy.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis