Friday, November 1, 2013

Stuck on Side Meat

This past week I have been stuck in a rut. Every day at some point I have biscuits and bacon. Typically for breakfast. Then there is biscuits for lunch, and maybe for dinner. It is just easier when I have them lying around then to make something different.

The remnants of my breakfast.
I can see how these two foods were go to foods for early settlers of America. Bacon (or side meat as they called it), would keep cured in the smokehouse all winter long. It provided vital fat and protein, necessary for their diets. Biscuits provided carbohydrates and were a carrier for other foods such as jam or butter. They also helped fill up the stomach and decrease the feelings of hunger.

The sad thing is that I only have a few biscuits and 2 pieces of bacon left. I will have to wait a week at least until I could get bacon from Becker Farms again. I can always make more biscuits though. The nature of this project is forcing me to eat different things. I will need to find another source of protein since my bacon will be gone. Therefore I will need to cook my chicken or beef, eat eggs, or make more hummus and eat more nuts.

Even though I fall into patterns for a week at a time, they are not forever. At some point I run out of a food item and I have to eat whatever else is in my pantry.

What is your favorite food? What would you do if you ran out of it?

No comments :

Post a Comment

ShareThis