Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Thanksgiving Part 1: Cooking

Today, the day before Thanksgiving, my family and I are preparing some of the food. I was put in charge of the turkey since I convinced my parents it was a good idea to buy a free range one from Becker Farms that ended up being 22 lbs. I spent last night researching how to cook a whole turkey, as I have never cooked turkey before.

The Turkey.
I decided to not follow any particular recipe. My friend Jamie taught me how to cook a whole chicken a few years ago, so I decided to adapt the approach. No, I did not measure anything. Basically I made a paste out of butter, and fresh rosemary, sage, and thyme and rubbed that underneath the skin. Then I filled the cavity with the remaining fresh herbs and some chopped onion. Then the whole turkey was put in a reynolds turkey bag in order to keep in the moisture.

Yay giblets!!
My mixture that went under the skin.
Turkey almost ready for the oven!!
I will update later with how it turns out.

No comments :

Post a Comment

ShareThis