Sunday, November 3, 2013

A Different Type of Restriction

Photo from wikipedia.org
I am not sure if I mentioned this before, but now is a good of time as any. I have another restriction to my diet besides the whole no processed food organic thing. I have food allergies.

I was diagnosed with food allergies my freshmen year of college. They originally thought I was allergic to 26 different foods including pork, turkey, beef, apples, bananas, cantaloupe, spinach, broccoli, yeast (brewer's and baker's), all nuts, shellfish, peppers, potatoes, etc. I cannot remember the rest. For a periods I eliminated all of these from my diet, sustaining on Pediasure, a child's nutritional supplement. I guess this is one reason why this project is not as hard, my diet is not as nearly restricted.

So what am I actually allergic to? After eliminating everything, I brought back foods one by one. When they did not make me sick, I assumed that I was not allergic to them. The skin prick test is 40% accurate if the result is positive. I am allergic to bell peppers (I include all related peppers in this group just to be safe) and all shellfish. That is not that much to deal with.

Are you, my reader, allergic to anything?

No comments :

Post a Comment

ShareThis