Sunday, November 10, 2013

Grocery Bags

Shopping bags. I bet that you probably do not think much about what carries your food from store to car. Paper or plastic? How about neither. With this project I have been making my best effort to use reusable bags when I buy groceries.


These bags are sold at  most stores now for as cheap as 99 cents. So why do I use them? One of the first reasons is that I am sick of the accumulation of plastic bags at my house. Honestly I have no idea what to do with them all. They can be small trashcan liners, but that is all that I have thought up. The same goes with paper sacks. Because of my childhood the only other use for them that I can think of is weaving projects for elementary school kids.

Only 1-2% of plastic bags are recycled in the USA. This means that 98% of them are going into landfills.

Target will credit you $0.05 for each reusable bag you use. This is the only store that I currently shop at that I could find if they give a bag credit. Who knows, it could catch on at other stores.

Further Reading:
Retailers push reusable bags to save money, environment

No comments :

Post a Comment

ShareThis