Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Me Want Cookies

This evening I have been craving sugar to the point of eating it out of the bag. Don't worry it was only a tablespoon. About an hour later this craving intensified, so I began to wonder why. What is my body telling me by craving sugar? Does that mean I am lacking something in my diet? After a brief search on the internet, this is what I found:

When you are craving sugar, such as cookies, ice cream, and candy it means that your glycemic (sugar) levels are low. Low blood sugar should not be remedied by giving into pure sugar, as that can cause your blood sugar to spike and then crash again. That is why I wanted more sugar an hour later. What I found is best is to eat a piece of fruit. It has a lower sugar level and the fiber found in fruit is good for you. Eating legumes and carbs can also help as they slowly release sugar therefore not creating as much of a sugar high and crash. We are designed to crave sugar as a survival instinct, but this is not a problem in most modern day societies.

What about chocolate? Oddly enough it does not fit into the sugar cravings. Chocolate has magnesium in it, so when you are craving it, that might actually mean that you need magnesium. Magnesium is found in leafy greens, so try eating those (I know a harsh alternative to chocolate). From what I read dark chocolate in small quantities is also ok.

The other main craving I have faced is salt. Normally I crave it during the summer when I am working outside, and that typically means I am dehydrated and actually need salt and electrolytes. My coworkers know that I will put salt on my biscuits and bread or just eat it strait out of the box. When you are not dehydrated, salt cravings are caused by stress. Instead of eating, try slowly breathing and doing something to relax before you binge.


What are you craving right now?

Sources
What Your Cravings Mean
13 Ways to Fight Sugar Cravings

4 comments :

  1. Since getting off of the campus meal plan, I have eliminated most processed foods from my diet and have generally been eating more healthily than ever before. But I do crave sugar all the time! Even though I eat a lot of apples, legumes, whole grains, and vegetables of all kinds, I can hardly go a day without really wanting cookies or candy or muffins or pie or... you get the picture.
    I also crave coffee pretty frequently, though as you know, I really shouldn't have it because it makes me insanely fidgety and unfocused.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have also read that when you stop eating processed sugar, your are detoxing. So the cravings could be caused by an "addiction" on processed sugar. Coffee is the same thing, withdrawal, therefore craving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wheat or malt cravings?

    ReplyDelete
  4. well i suppose to amend the previous question, it would be more like "wheat, malt, rice, granola, etc cravings?"

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis