Sunday, August 25, 2013

Turkey Lasagna Test

I decided what to do with my 1lb of ground turkey... make lasagna. Thank you so much for the input, chili is now on my to cook list for this project! I decided to go with lasagna because it seemed easier (it wasn't) and to take less ingredients (it didn't).

I was able to get my cheese and noodles from an Amish market called Fountain City Acres. They had a really good selection of bulk foods. The ingredient list on each product was short which also made me happy. (The shorter the list, the less ingredients, and the smaller the chance it is processed.) I got mozzarella and parmesan cheese along with dehydrated portabella mushrooms and lasagna noodles for this dish.

I based my lasagna recipe on some that I found online. I tried to follow the direction but I forgot to put in the seasoning (I did remember salt in the sauce) and was rather loose on my measuring of the cheese. I also added squash, as I had a week old one that I needed to get rid of. I got my ground turkey from Becker Farms at the farmer's market. It was $6.50 per pound, which seemed expensive to me, especially for one dish. I was surprised that it did not impact the overall cost of the product as much (more on that in a minute). I also accidentally made way to many lasagna noodles, so it looks like I will be eating them for a few meals with some salt and extra cheese.

Now I know what you want to know, how much did this dish cost. As a whole it cost $22.60. I made my white sauce from scratch and did not include the extra help I got from my friend Jill. She really helped by grating all the cheese for me. I cut the pan into 12 slices, therefore each slice costs $1.88. That is not to bad for a main course for lunches and things. It also means less cooking for an entire week for me!!

I have not tasted it yet, I will let you know tomorrow after lunch what the verdict is.

UPDATE: The lasagna was delicious!! It did not need seasoning, I added a bit of salt. It tasted like souped up macaroni and cheese. I just wish I had brought a bigger piece with me!

No comments :

Post a Comment

ShareThis