Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Is "Organic" a Magic Word?


As my seminar is reading through The Omnivore’s Dilemma by Michael Pollan, I have been really struck by the chapters on industrial organic agriculture. Even though I had considered myself well versed in agriculture before this class, I was not aware of the scale of these corporations. Honestly it disheartens me that our generation is led to believe that “Organic” is the magic label that must mean the food is good and comes from a pretty farm where everything is good.

According to the USDAOrganic agriculture is an ecological production management system that promotes and enhances biodiversity, biological cycles and soil biological activity. It is based on minimal use of off-farm inputs and on management practices that restore, maintain and enhance ecological harmony.” The labeling does not guarantee that there is no residual residue of pesticides etc. They say the labeling is to promote health. But we take it to mean health for the plants an animals (such as no pesticides and pasture grazing) equally as much as health for us (no contaminates). "Organic" has turned into a social issue.

I was saddened that the chickens were harvested at 7 weeks of age, only having 2 weeks access to the outdoors through a tiny door at one end of the “factory”. (Producers are afraid of these chickens being infected with pathogens if they have access to outdoors younger than 5 weeks. This is a drawback of not using antibiotics.) Once I learned this fact, I want to reconsider the labeling on my organic chicken before I purchase it. I now know that organic does not mean pasture raised. That would be a better indicator to look at on the label. Next time I go to the Farmer’s Market I will be more inclined to ask about the living conditions of the animals before I buy the meat. I will still buy meat that was raised without daylight, but at least now I am informed. 

What do you think?

No comments :

Post a Comment

ShareThis