Thursday, August 15, 2013

Eggplants... Oh My!

So today I decided to use the eggplant that I purchased yesterday at the Minnetrista Farmer's Market. I will admit that I have never cooked with eggplant, let alone eaten it before. This was going to be a challenge.

Fried eggplant attempt.
Through my Google searching, I found that eggplant is most commonly fried, so that seemed a reasonable plan of action. I got my eggs, flour, and eggplant pealed and sliced. Many recipes warned that the eggplant needed to be salted to draw the moisture before frying. I should have listened. I have a tendency to improvise when I cook and this does not always result in good food. As the eggplant fried, it soaked up a lot of the olive oil and became soggy instead of chrispy. I may or may not try this again.

Thankfully, my dinner experiment was more successful. I needed to use the other eggplant (yes I thought it was wise to buy 2 even though I had no idea what to do with them at the time, they looked pretty). I had 4 small potatoes, a yellow squash, and onion. I decided to roast them in the oven with some olive oil, garlic, and oregano.

Vegetable medley.
It turned out better than expected, I was even able to portion it out to eat later and freeze some (reheating that will be another adventure). I learned today to follow the directions of the experts when it comes to cooking something that I have worked with before. It is also alright to fail, it is a learning experience.

6 comments :

  1. Pretty sure after you draw out the moisture, fried eggplant is still just a disc of fried something. I've never met an eggplant I was fond of. Better luck next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you don't know you don't like something until you try it :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, definitely salt the eggplant before frying. Not only does it draw out moisture it can also get rid of some of the bitterness. Good job trying! Its fun to try something new, even if it doesn't always work out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea they had so much liquid in them. They remind me of mushrooms. Could you use eggplant as a mushroom substitute?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Next time you should try eggplant lasagna. I've made it before and its quite good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cait, I saw a recipe for it, but did not have cheese or tomatoes for lasagna.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis