Wednesday, August 14, 2013

First time for everything.... Pickles

So yesterday I went down to Conner Prairie Interactive History Park to do a film shoot for an advertisement. After that was complete I perused the gardens to see how things were growing. Earlier this spring I helped plant the seeds, so it is cool to see your hard work pay off with produce. As I explored the Conner Garden, my coworker Michele showed me the heritage world vegetables that they were growing including Poona Kheera cucumbers. They originate from India and vary in color from green maturing to orange and brown. She even gave me one to take home and use in my project.

I decided the best way to taste and preserve this cucumber so that I can eat it once the project starts would be to pickle it. I asked coworkers Maria and Jamie for advice, as they are much more experienced cooks for me. This is how the recipe boiled down to what I used:
  • 1 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 1/2 tablespoon of sugar
  • salt and pepper to taste
I will be honest, I am not fond of pickles, the few times that I have eaten them. I opted for a sweeter pickle in the theory that it would be more palatable. In a few days I will taste them and let you know what I think. For now they will sit in the fridge and will be good for 2 to 3 weeks. This whole experiment cost me $0.69.





No comments :

Post a Comment

ShareThis