Saturday, August 17, 2013

Sugar

Although I have found a temporary solution, I am still perplexed on what type of sugar is cheap, ethical, and organic that I can use for this project.

Right now I am using Domino's Organic sugar that I found at Marsh. Organic means it was made from organic sugarcane, but this does not dictate how the sugar is harvested and processed. It means that this sugarcane has not been sprayed with pesticides, while Domino's regular brand most likely has.  The regular brand is most likely what all of you use for sugar. When I perused the aisles at Marsh and Target it was the only other type of sugar there except for the generic. I have also noticed that this sugar has a different flavor, similar to that of caramelized sugar, and the crystals are larger and brown. When I made blackberry muffins today, it baked the same and there was no flavor difference with the finished product.

Another friend suggested that I check out Sugar in the Raw. From some research I had discovered that it is not raw (meaning unprocessed). The package claims that it has not been bleached (I guess that is how we get our pretty white sugar). There does not seem to be anything spectacular about the product so I shall move on to another sugar.

While trying to Google sugar, I came across recommendations for sucanat (an abbreviation for sugar-cane-natural). It is an unprocessed sugar that has been used in India for some time. Basically it is dehydrated cane sugar. This is the least processed of the sugars so far. I also learned that through processing, manufacturers are able to refine the sugar so that the product sold is around 99.9% sugar compared to sucanat at 88% (the other 12% are calcium, iron, potassium, and vitamin B6, but not enough to actually gain nutrients from).

Another option I have is honey. Today at the farmer's market I got honey made in the same county that I now live in, you can't get more local than that. I also believe that there is minimal processing to get honey from the hive. It did seem a bit expensive to be using daily.

Finally I want to talk about a company called Wholesome Sweeteners that I just found today. They have a whole line of organic sugars and raw sugar. Their sugar is not genetically modified (YES!) and they are not burned, a practice that Sugar in the Raw may use. It is also fair trade. For those of you who don't know, fair
trade means that the farmers get paid a fair price for their goods and therefore are able to make a living farming. This by far seems to be the best choice for sugar, but I need to compare the prices.

Price per Pound*
Domino's Organic Sugar............................$5.33 $3.55
Sugar in the Raw........................................$2.67
Sucanat......................................................$3.15-$10
Honey........................................................$4.00
Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Sugar....$3.99
*All of these are estimated prices, most from the manufacturer's website. I could have found many of them cheaper on other sites.

This brings me to the conclusion that while not the cheapest, I want to go with Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Sugar as it is Fair Trade and organic which are two goals with my project. I am also not breaking the bank to make these choices. Which one would you choose? Do you care where your sugar comes from?


Resources:
http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/sugar-in-the-raw-thats-not/
http://healthland.time.com/2012/02/29/better-than-sugar-5-natural-sweeteners-demystified/
http://wholesomesweeteners.elsstore.com/view/product/?id=33248&cid=27511

Edit 8/21: I calculated the price for Domino's Organic Sugar from their 1.5 lb bag originally. The recalculated price makes it cheaper than Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Sugar. This result does not change my opinion of which sugar I would like to buy.

Stay tuned for Sugar Part II!!

8 comments :

  1. You might want to look into the processing on the honey. there is actual significant processing for commercially sold honey (what you would find at the store), but you should definitely ask the merchant at the farmer's market what he/she does. Raw honey is completely unprocessed, and there might be other steps for local. (I'd love to know more about that as well.) I do remember that I was cautioned against raw honey when I was pregnant due to something that might not be processed out...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I remember the seller saying it is raw honey, but that is not stated on the bottle. The bottle does say not to feed to infants < 2 years old. I will have to ask the vender next week for more details on how it is made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And then you will post all of that information for your on-the-edge-of-our-seats readers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been using coconut sugar. The package says that it's sustainably grown, but I haven't done the research to verify that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know you have a plethora of historical knowledge. I know back in the 1800's, sugar was an expensive and precious commodity. Where did they get their sugar and how was it processed? How similar was it to sugar we use today and to the sugars you have been researching?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Coconut sugar, I have never heard of it. I will look it up!

    Cait, just off the top of my head, sugar came in cones or loafs, brown was cheaper than white. Molasses was also used as a substitute as well as maple syrup. I will see what else I can did up. I do know that I have prices written down somewhere c. 1830.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also (for your sister), sugar wasn't used as often as it is now. They didn't feel the need to sweeten everything. Where I like to drop a little sugar into my biscuits... they wouldn't have.
    12 1/2 cents per pound for loaf sugar; 16 cents a pound for cone sugar. I worked utility in the store Sunday. :)

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis