Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Do we truly want to know what is in our food?

I read an interesting article on CNN today "Do consumers really want to see where their food comes from?". The author, Ryan Goodman, primarily focuses on slaughterhouses on both small and large scale. He voices that transparency between the manufacturer and the consumer should increase as a form of education to both sides.

He briefly mentions how in the slaughtering process, the manufacturers make a point to keep the animals as calm as possible. The main argument that I have heard against slaughterhouses is that they are inhumane. I believe that we have done pretty well to find a humane way to process the animals. I am actually visiting a processing plant next week, let me know if you are interested to hear about my experience.

In terms of more transparency, I would like to have a better grasp of what "spices", "artificial flavoring", or "seasoning" means on the end of the ingredient list. Companies claim that these are their secret recipes. I hope this wall will be the next to come down, for the sake of those who have allergies. I am allergic to pepper, such as bell pepper. A company could have red pepper included in "spices" and as the consumer I would be none the wiser. If I ate that product, I would get sick. This is why the consumer deserves to know what is in their food and how it is made.

Companies are responding; even the largest meat producer such as Cargill are slowly allowing images of their factories to surface. When the public becomes more knowledgeable, they will act on that knowledge. If we know something is not right, now we can change it.

Would you like to visit the factory that makes your favorite food or would your rather not know?

No comments :

Post a Comment

ShareThis