Thursday, August 22, 2013

A Deviating Lunch

So today was the first instance that I had to step away from the rules for this project. My classmates and I visited Becker Farms for a field trip today. We got to have a tour of the farm, help feed the animals, and get an insider's point of view of what it is like to farm in a sustainable way.

Chickens!

The Beckers were wonderful hosts, they even provided us with lunch. There was lemonade, beets, turkey and noodles, mashed potatoes, cantaloupe, and chocolate chip cookies. There was also salad but I could not eat it due to my food allergy to bell peppers.

Yummy lunch!!

I made the decision that I would be gracious and accept the food provided and eat it. We did have the option to pack a lunch. I decided not to do this as it was not cost effective. One aspect of this project is feeding myself on a college budget, which means accepting food when offered sometimes. Kyle Becker said everything was made there except for the noodles. Even the turkey was raised on the farm. This made me feel better about eating the food. It was also nice not to have to prepare a meal, all I had to do was enjoy it.

Something surprising that I noticed is that I felt full and satisfied after the meal. I did not crave more food just for the sake of eating it. I also did not salt any of the food I ate. I did not even feel compelled to eat extra cookies like I used to. I do not know if this is due to my project so far or that the food was not as processed as, for example, the food in the dining halls here at school. I hope to be able to cook as well as Mrs. Becker!

My new friend :).

No comments :

Post a Comment

ShareThis