Friday, August 9, 2013

Shopping day 1: Target

I decided today that I would start getting ingredients for my project. Since I was going to Target I decided to focus on the basics; flour, sugar, salt, etc. I also wanted to get oatmeal and rice. Simple enough, right? Not so much, apparently the Target in Muncie does not have a very large grocery section. I managed to find flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and milk. Did you know that Target sells its own name brand of organic flour? This was news to me. Good news. I even told the cashier out about it on my way out.


I got Target brand "Archer Farms" organic milk for a good price, about 50 cents cheaper than Horizon Organic milk.  It is nice when supermarkets have their own generic that is organic, this makes things cheaper. I also got Arm and Hammer baking soda, Clabber Girl baking powder, and Morton salt. These three are so chemically simple that I don't even want to bother trying to find a different or certified organic version. 

I did not get sugar yet as I am unsure if there is organic sugar or better quality version than what target carried.  Let me know if you have any ideas. I also could not find plain oatmeal in the store and the rice selection was so small that I better try somewhere else.  

On another note I'm starting to make an Excel sheet cataloging every food item I buy so I will be able to better calculate how much each meal will cost. 

Tomorrow I am off to the Minnetrista Farmers's Market and will blog about it afterwards. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

ShareThis