Thursday, August 29, 2013

Packing a Lunch

Today we are going on another fieldtrip with my seminar. We are going to visit several dairies, two that are large scale and on small Amish dairy. We were told to pack a lunch and I figured that there would not be refrigeration, so I had to prepare the night before for a cold lunch.

I did not have any bread, so sandwiches were a no go. I thought boiling beets was a good idea. They turned out well, a bit more pink then I would like. The color bled out when boiling through tears in the skin. I also included some portioned out trail mix made of soy nuts (good for protein) and dried cranberries. I have also had a head of cabbage sitting around, so I sliced some up raw. Add an apple and some green beans and I am done!

Cost:
  • 1 boiled beets......$0.50
  • trail mix................$0.45
  • cabbage................$0.15
  • apple.....................$0.36
  • green beans..........$0.50
  • Half a watermelon... free (from a kind Amish family)
Total =  $2.46 $0.95


It is a little more expensive then some meals that I have had but for all of it being fresh, I think I did pretty well! Everything is from the farmers market except the trail mix. Do you like my lunch?

Edit: I wrote this the evening before and discovered that I did not eat as much of my lunch due to being full with watermelon :).

No comments :

Post a Comment

ShareThis