Saturday, August 10, 2013

Shopping Day 2: Farmer's Market and More

Today I went to the Minnetrista Farmer's Market with my friend Bekah. I did not have a grocery list in mind as I wanted to first see what was available.

This is Rosie, she was sooooo sleepy :)
The first thing I got was green beans. Maybe stir fry would be good or I can just eat them raw. They were only $1.50 a pound. I also got onions and garlic, which should last me a while (or at least more than one week). And of course it is the time for corn, half a dozen for 2 dollars. Later the vendor for "My Dad's Sweetcorn" gave me a free ear to try. Vendors are so nice! The only fruit that I picked up was some peaches, as I want to wait until the apples are a little bigger and berries are getting pricey.

I also got to meet some new friends, both the two legged and four legged kind.

This afternoon I went to Marsh to see if they had a better selection of ingredients for baking. Although they did not have organic flour like Target did, I did find Domino's Organic Sugar as well as organic olive oil. So far the olive oil has been my most expensive purchase at $12.59 for the 16.9 fl oz. bottle. This translates to 12 cents per teaspoon. My least expensive baking item so far is salt at 0.6 cents per teaspoon. It will be interesting to see how these calculate into the overall cost of a loaf of bread or stir fry.

My lunch at the Downtown Farm Stand.
My final stop was at The Downtown Farm Stand, which is similar to a Whole Foods or Earth Fare, although a lot smaller. Some of their prices for organic ingredients were much higher than what I found at national chains. For instance the packaged sugar was twice as much. I was able to find bulk rice, oats, and beans for $1-3 a pound. I also got four sticks of butter. I put three in the freezer so that they will last longer.

On that note, I am research an app for my phone to track the expiration dates of my food, so that I will use it up before it goes bad. Let me know if you have any suggestions!

2 comments :

  1. Indiana corn is delicious! Really, it's not the same in Wisconsin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But I was able to find Wisconsin butter! And it was a grocery chain. It is organic and really yellow.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis