Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Not So Vegan Mac n' Cheese

I got a large head of cauliflower at last Saturday's Farmer's Market. Large is an understatement. I knew that I would not be able to eat it raw before it went bad. Therefore I needed to make a dish with cauliflower as a base. I stumbled upon Cauli "Mac" N' Cheez on The Healthy Voyager blog.


I substituted all of the vegan cheese ingredients for real cheese ingredients, hence making the recipe no longer vegan. It is still vegetarian.


This is one of those recipes where I kept forgetting steps and having to go back and redo them. For instance I did not blot the cauliflower dry when I drained it and I also forgot to grease the pan. Both of these were remedied before it went into the oven. I set it to 350 instead of 370, nearly doubling the cooking time.

Verdict. It is tasty and cheesy. It may have been cheaper with noodles though, cauliflower was the most expensive ingredient at 5 dollars.  The whole dish cost $10.84, with 8 servings.

No comments :

Post a Comment

ShareThis