Wednesday, October 2, 2013

1886 Bread

Dough rising.
Last night and today I made some yeast bread. This is the first time I have made bread on the project and the first time I have used yeast. This is primarily because this type of baked good takes longer to make. I got the recipe from The Buckeye Cookery which we used in the 1886 Liberty Corner site at Conner Prairie.

"In summer take three pints of cold or tepid water, four tablespoons of yeast, one tea-spoon of salt; stir in four enough to make a thick sponge (rather thicker than griddle-cakes). Let stand until morning, then add more flour, mix stiff, and knead ten minutes; place in a pan, let rise until light, knead for another ten minutes; mold into four loaves, and set to rise, but do not let it get too light; bake in a moderate oven one hour. If bread is mixed at six o'clock in the morning, the baking ought to be done by ten o'clock."

I did half a recipe, which gave me 2 loaves, each costing $1.60. The bread is soooooo good, with a nice crunchy
crust!

I also tried my purple carrots. They taste like carrots, just a little less sweet. I was also intrigued that the purple did not go all the way through.

3 comments :

  1. Holy cow, 4 tablespoons of yeast! I've never used more than one tablespoon per loaf. How much flour did you end up having to use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might have to try this recipe, I'm looking for a good bread that has very few ingredients.

      Delete
  2. I made 1/2 recipe. It made 2 loaves, and it used 8 cups of flour.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis