Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Back Where I Began

The project is over. I should be fine going out to eat. Tonight I got dinner at Subway just because I could and I did not feel like cooking anything. As I drove there, back, and while eating, I could not shake the feeling that what I was doing was wrong.

While reviewing my seminar's film "Down to Earth: Small Farm Issues in a Big Farm World", it hit me. Sarah Hackney from the National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition said,  "We all eat three times a day. We all have three times a day to choose what we put into our bodies and where it comes from". Wow, eating is more then just fueling our bodies. It is a way to vote with your money, for what is good for you and the environment.

I do not have to deal with the rules anymore, but who says I have to stop following them. Most food that is processed has been giving me stomach aches and I am starting to run low on Alka-Seltzer. Why should I put myself through that when I am craving apples and carrots, not cheetos or oreos?

I think for the most part, I will choose to eat local, unprocessed food from now on. It is cheaper than take-out or processed food from the store. It is less likely to make me sick. It tastes better. I know what I am putting into my body, which makes me more comfortable.

How about you, do you think about what you put into your body? Your children's?

In case you have not seen the documentary I mentioned earlier, you can find it here. It is only 35 minutes, so I encourage you to watch and consider where your food comes from.


No comments :

Post a Comment

ShareThis