Monday, July 1, 2013

Green Soup - A Good Start

So I decided that this summer would be a good time to learn how to cook new things that I would want to make this fall. A few weeks ago I got the book Ladled by Kimberly Harris which is turning out to be pretty neat so far. Today I made her (Dark) Green Soup.
The ingredients: butter, onion, garlic, kale, chicken stock, potato, thyme, spinach, heavy cream, and lemon juice.
It went together alright. I did not make the chicken stock myself, so that goes against the guidelines for this fall. It think it is ok for now, as I am easing myself into this project. Something of note, is that I have never had onions make my eyes water that much, ouch!!

The kale and spinach cooked down well, but not as much as expected. The potatoes also did not turn to much as I had hoped. Therefore, I got the food processor down to use as I could not find the top to the blender in the cabinet. Poring the soup in created a mess, but not as much as the food processor not being water tight. I would post a picture of the mess but that was not my priority :) .

The end result was a smooth soup. I like the lemon juice, as it adds more flavor. I think I put a little to much in though. I wish the soup was thicker, so I should add more potato next time. Overall it turned out good, pretty delicious actually. A good way to get green vegetables in.

I complemented the soup with organic apple sauce (only ingredient is apples), 2% unhomogenized milk, and some rosemary and olive oil crackers (unbleached wheat flour, semolina flour, water, olive oil, rosemary, sea salt). I think this is a good start in eating unprocessed and trying new foods.

1 comment :

ShareThis